This is such a yummy and versatile recipe for any time of the year. The lentil mixture is wholesome and nutritiously packed with fresh vegetables. This recipe has quite a few ingredients, but my suggestion would be to double the recipe and freeze half of the lentil balls on a metal tray individually before putting them together in the freezer. They can last months and you will have these meatballs at the ready!
The mint pistou is one of my favorite condiments but you can also use tomato sauce to keep it gluten-free. Pistou is a French version of pesto and so good! It dresses up so many dishes that you will want to keep a mason jar of it in your fridge.
The sweet potatoes are festive and fun. Simply boil them in hot water for 2-3 minutes. Over-cooking will cause them to break up and get mushy. You can sub in zucchini noodles or gluten-free pasta if you wish.
Makes 6 servings
To Make the Lentil Meatballs and Sweet Potato Noodles
To Make the Mint Pistou
Prepare the Lentil Meat Balls
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Prepare a 9x13 baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive and add the onions; Saute for 2 minutes and add the garlic, carrots, celery, sea salt and "While My Za'atar Gently Weeps" spice blend. Saute the mixture for 5 minutes; add the mushrooms and cook until the mixture reduces and there is very little water remaining in the pan.
- Remove from the heat and add the lentils, bread crumbs, eggs and mix thoroughly until combined. If the mixture is wet, add more breadcrumbs.
- Scoop about two tablespoons of the mixture into your palm and roll into a ball and place on the baking sheet. Repeat for the remaining mixture.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Make the Pistou
- In a small food processor, add the olive oil, parsley, mint, walnuts, garlic, lemon juice and sea salt.
Blend until the mixture is smooth. with a rubber spatula, scrape the contents from the processor and set aside.
Prepare the Sweet Potatoes
In a large steamer, bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add the spiralized sweet potatoes. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Do not cook for too long otherwise, the noodles will break apart.
Put it All Together
Place the sweet potato noodles on a plate, add the cooked meatballs and top with the mint pistou.