So I was having guests over for dinner last night and want to keep it simple. A good hearty bowl of soup, a salad, and a blackberry crumble. Nothing too crazy, right?
After searching through my pantry and refrigerator, I discovered I had all the ingredients for a Tuscan White Bean Soup. I like this version using fresh Tuscan kale from my garden and healthy nutritious farro. Farro is an ancient grain that is high in fiber, protein and rich in B vitamins.
I like to add it to soup instead of rice for these reasons. If you can’t find farro in your health food store, then you can substitute with brown rice or quinoa. This recipe can also be augmented by adding 1-inch chunks of turkey sausage. Yum!
For my salad, I settled on a citrus medley with fennel and avocado (see the photo below.) Still considering the crumble idea though…I haven’t gotten that far yet!
Makes 6 servings
- In a soup pot, heat the olive oil and add the onions. Cook for five minutes until translucent then add the garlic.
- Add the Healthy On You® Let The Good Thymes Roll spice blend and stir until well assimilated with the onions and garlic.
- Add the stock, canned tomatoes, canned beans, kale and allow to cook together for 15 minutes under medium heat.
- Add the farro and zucchini; cook for an additional five minutes until the zucchini is tender.
- Remove from heat, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with basil.