This bright yellow coconut curry sauce reminds me of the sun, so I call it “sunsational!” Seriously though…what’s better than a whole roasted chicken? Well, chicken that’s roasted in a coconut curry sauce with turmeric and ginger spices, for sure. Not to mention coconut milk, dried coconut, fish sauce, and fresh vegetables. Sounds “sunsational” and to me!
Be sure to lather the chicken with my Healthy On You “Here Comes the Yum” Turmeric Ginger spice which is packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s a great way to batch cook because the leftovers make a great work lunch.
Serve with rice or rice noodles and keep it gluten-free.
Note: When prepping your chicken, make sure to remove as much fat as possible from the flaps at the cavity rim of the chicken. This way, you limit skimming oil from the sauce at the end.
Makes 6 servings
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Prep a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Wash the chicken and pat dry. Then rub with oil, salt and one tbsp of the "Here Comes the Yum" spice blend. Make sure to rub as much of the spice blend under the skin as possible.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet and place in oven. Bake for 15 mins.
- In the meantime, prep the coconut curry sauce: In a large dutch oven, add the two cans of coconut milk and bring to gentle boil over medium heat.
- Add the curry paste, the remaining one tbsp of the "Here Comes the Yum" spice blend, water, shredded coconut, fish sauce, shiitake mushrooms, and lime juice and zest.
- Reduce the heat and cover.
- After 15 minutes, removed the chicken from the oven and using large serving forks, gently transfer the chicken to the dutch oven and into the curry sauce.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F.
- Put the lid on the pot and transfer to the oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and with a large flat spoon, skim the oil from the chicken, as much as possible before plating.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, chopped cashews and chopped and seeded Thai chiles.