I’m loving this delicious, healthy and little spicy spin on your typical minestrone soup. First, I skip the regular canned tomatoes and use organic fire roasted tomatoes to give this dish an extra kick. Instead of pasta, chickpeas do the trick here to add a nice texture and a dose of fiber. Ground turkey is my go to when making meatballs but you can all always substitute with another organic, grass-fed meat of your choice.
Makes 8 servings
For the Soup
For the Meatballs
Make the soup
- In a soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add in the onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes
- Add the garlic to the onions and sauté for another minute
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, carrot and the Let the Good Thymes Roll spice blend. Cook, covered, on low for 30 mins. or until vegetables are tender.
Make the Meatballs
- In a large bowl, combine cheese, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, Let the Good Thymes Roll spice blend and red pepper flakes and mix well. Add the ground turkey and egg and blend with your hands until well mixed. Cover mixture and chill for an hour or up to 24 hours. Shape and roll to the desired size.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large sauté pan. When hot, add enough of the meatballs to fit in one layer without crowding, and brown on all sides, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate, add another tablespoon of oil to pan and brown another layer of meatballs, transferring them to the plate as they brown. Repeat until all meatballs are browned, adding more oil to the pan as needed.
- Add the meatballs and the chopped zucchini to the soup and cook for another 10 mins.
- Serve in bowls garnished with parmesan and fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!