Years ago I had a few Kalette plants that outlasted every other vegetable in my garden and grew like trees. It’s been difficult to find that particular variety these days, but I am lucky enough to have a great organic farm nearby and when I stopped in, they had kalettes. Kalettes are also known as kale sprouts and they are delicious when seasoned and roasted.
If you can’t find kalettes, you can substitute for Brussels sprouts which are plentiful year round. I love this recipe because of the complex textures of crunchy from the garlic, kalettes, and walnuts.
I especially enjoy the middle eastern flavors my Healthy On You® While My Za’atar Gently Weeps spice blend imparts to this dish. The sumac lends a lemony tang that is just the right balance with the pomegranate seeds. This is a delicious side for any protein and is festive for the holidays.
Makes 4 servings
For the Salad
To Make the dressing
To Make the Dressing
- Add the olive oil, pomegranate vinegar, honey, sea salt and pomegranate seeds to a small bowl, whisk and set aside.
To Make the Salad
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a small baking sheet and a 9x13 sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the garlic slices in a small bowl and coat with about ½ tbsp of the olive oil, a ½ tbsp of the While My Za'atar Gently Weeps spice blend and the sea salt. Gently toss, keeping the garlic slices in tact.
- Spread the garlic slices on the small baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until crispy and brown. Be careful not burn.
- While the garlic is baking, add the kalettes to a bowl add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and coat. Add the remaining 1 tbsp While My Za'atar Gently Weeps spice blend toss well.
- Add the kalettes to the larger baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until the edges or leaves are crispy but not burned.
- Remove from the oven and toss with the crispy baked garlic.
- Add the dressing a little at a time, and combine so the pomegranate seeds are incorporated.
- Sprinkle with the walnuts and goat cheese and serve warm.
- Note: the dressing can be made ahead fo time.